Monday 4 April 2016

Breathless Places

By Cassandra Samuels 

I love to know where writers and readers spend their time, don't you? The places where they dream and are inspired. Whether it is reading or writing, we all have a place that makes us feel empowered so as a fun post for this week I am revealing our very own Breathless places.

First up is Dee, who loves to have her furry friend Rosebud by her side while writing.

Rosebud Poppimonster Scully


Dee says: My writing place is anywhere my dog is. I’ve tried cafes and the library but I can never really focus. Maybe too much is happening around me. I even struggle when I’m sitting at my desk sometimes, but if my Rosie is sitting near me when I start to lose concentration I reach over, give her a cuddle and I’m able to get right back to whatever I’m working on. Distraction averted!


Miranda, our very own book reviewer, has her favourite reading place. It is her comfy pink recliner. No wonder. How inviting does it look? Miranda  says it is perfectly situated for her in this nice sunny spot near the fireplace with her current To-Be-Read pile at arm's length. Now you know why she can bring us such a fantastic array of wonderful book recommendations.
Miranda finds reading bliss in her comfy recliner.

Our newest published member, Marilyn (author of The Farmer's Perfect Match), tells us why she loves her writing space: Although it's not particularly clear in this photo, my writing cave is painted a beautifully serene peacock blue. At my corner-nook desk I'm surrounded by books (reference), pens and paper (for when the words won't flow on the computer), a citrus candle (ambience), my honey bear (to remind me to write every day), and other things I love (like my mini Jamie Fraser cutout - thank you, Cassie.)

You're welcome Marilyn. Every desk should have a pop-up Jamie! Emoji. Can you spot him?

Marilyn loves her writing cave.

Enisa describes her breathless place: Ideally surrounded by glowing candles and powerful crystals, I sit in a rustic cabin by a river in the midst of a forest and type away. The soothing sounds of nature enhance rather than disturb my creativity and my muse is happy.
Photography courtesy of Mark Lafontan

In reality, I type on my desktop computer in my home office (when writing time is abundant), or on my netbook in the living room (if time is sparse). I write in silence (music and chatter distract my creativity far too much). Inspirational quotes and precious crystals are scattered about. I'm big on positive energy. And the words flow.
Enisa Haines' writing space is surrounded by some of her favourite writing inspirations.

Karen M Davis shares with us her Breathless place: This is my messy study. I love writing here because it is my space. I close the door, put earplugs in so I don't get distracted by outside noise and start writing.
I hear you Karen. A lively house can be very distracting. I use headphones.
Karen's desk shows she is busy creating.


Sharon Burke's dream writing space.

'I have always wanted my own writing space. I have written two non-fiction books, one work of fiction, and several short stories and articles on a shared family computer. Earlier this year, I was given a laptop. I have just managed to acquire a roll top desk - something I have always wanted. My own writing space - finally!
I am so excited. Looking forward to restoring the desk, putting it in our study nook and enjoying the privilege of writing in my own space.'
Imagine how good this desk will be for Sharon's creative pursuits once it has been restored.


As for me? My writing space is lucky last. As you can see I like to have lots of things on my desk; it's in a corner of my bedroom so I don't really have anywhere else to put these things. I love being surrounded by some of my favourite reference books and notebooks. My desk is guarded by my Game of Thrones boys (Tyrion, Jon Snow and Rob Stark), and Loki also causes mischief here. My RWAust First Sale Ribbon has pride of place, as well. You might even see a pop up Jamie somewhere there.
When I am not writing at my desk I write in bed on my laptop, especially in winter. You have to keep the muse warm, you know.

Where do you love to write or read? What is your Breathless Place? Let me know in the comments.

Love to Love... my headphones. They are the most comfortable set I've ever had and are noise-cancelling as well. They let me escape into my Regency world and forget about reality.


Love to laugh...  at the new Bridget Jones movie trailer. Are you planning on seeing it?



Love to Learn...  about other writers' creative spaces and processes.


23 comments:

  1. Some of those writing desks look suspiciously tidy! I only say that because mine is such a mess at the moment and I'm jealous.

    About 5 years ago I invested in a large, heavy-duty corner workstation that lets me spread out and have everything at hand. Basically it's an excuse to have junk, white boards, papers and sticky notes everywhere but I tell myself these are vital things. Vital! I do love it though.

    As for reading, I bought one of those swinging egg chairs and it's lovely to sit and swing and read. Very relaxing.

    Thanks for sharing your writing and reading places, ladies. That was fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathryn! I had to laugh at your comment about tidiness. The picture I didn't send Cassandra was my other desk - the one next to this one, the one that's covered with books AND my huge folder with notes for the wip AND articles and recipes cut out of magazines (I AM going to file them some time :)) AND a huge pile of spare paper.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for dropping by Cathryn. I wish I had more room to move but as my desk is in my Bedroom I have to keep it in some semblance of order for my Virgo husband. I tell him the same thing. It's not rubbish it's vital important bits and pieces. One of those Egg chairs sounds wonderful.

      Delete
    3. I have absolutely no idea what an egg chair is, Cathryn. Must investigate!

      Delete
    4. LOL My desk swings between tidy and so cluttered I can't find my computer. (Please don't tell my massage clients though...all they need know is that my desk is ergonomically sound ALL THE TIME. ;-} )

      Delete
    5. My muse doesn't cooperate when the desk is cluttered so I have to keep the desk tidy to keep the writing flowing. Sigh...

      Delete
    6. Good point Cathryn. I photographed my "new" roll top desk. Our shared computer desk where I currently work is much more cluttered.

      Delete
    7. Marilyn, if you figure out a way to file all those clippings, let me know because I have the same (very untidy) problem.
      Malvina, this is an egg chair - although apparently they're properly called 'pod' chairs. http://www.harveynorman.com.au/furniture-outdoor-bbqs/outdoor-living/outdoor-lounges/atmosphere-pod.html?options=cart I LOVE mine. You'll have a gorgeous time reading in one of these. They're super comfy and the rocking motion is wonderfully soothing.
      Isn't it curious about the tidiness-untidiness of our desks? I have to have a pristine one to start a new book, then it deteriorates to disaster zone until the book is finished. I would love it to be tidier as I work but for some reason I find the papers and biscuit crumbs comforting!

      Delete
  2. Hi Cassandra! I loved seeing where you other girls write and read. I find it fascinating that (apart from the ubiquitous computer screen) all our places are unique to us. But then the place where we spend a lot of our time is such a personal space, isn't it?
    As for reading, I read in bed every night. (But if I had one of those hanging egg chairs like Cathryn, I could definitely be tempted to find the time to read at other times as well.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn. Yes all very different spaces. Cathryn mentioned the tidiness of some of the spaces but I guess some of us cannot write unless everything is tidy and orderly. I'm not one of those (ha ha) and often spread my stuff to the bed behind my desk as well.

      I read in bed too.I think bed it just one of those places you can truly relax and get absorbed in your book of choice. I'd love and egg chair though. <grin

      Delete
  3. I have instant desk/chair/reading lust with all these gorgeous photos, thanks Cassie! My desk most unfortunately is in the middle of the lounge room, so I have to keep it tidy. At least some of the time. When visitors are coming I usually do a big panic and shovel stuff out. Oh well, makes it homey...! This is a great post. I love peeking into writer and reader lives. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Malvina. It must be the sticky-beak in me but I love seeing where others create. It doesn't matter to me if they are messy or tidy it just has to be comfortable for them. I couldn't write in the lounge room I'd be harassed every minute. I know because I've tried.

      Delete
  4. What a fun article Cassandra! We truly are a diverse writing group with a range of writing spaces. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we all write different genres in this group. Paranormal, Spec fiction, contemporary, crime and historical.

      Delete
  5. Hi Cassandra, I love this post. As you say lots of fun and very interesting to see where other like minded people read and write. Like Dee I can't write in cafe's or places where there are distractions and like Cathryn, I have a swinging egg chair on my deck which is great for reading in - but not good for my bad back at the moment. The most disappointing thing I've got from this post is that I don't have a pop up Jamie and I want one... Love, love, love, him. How do I get my own Outlander Jamie???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, leave it to me. I'll get you a pop up Jamie. Yes, it is a desk necessity. Then your desk will be complete. haha. I take it I am not the only one excited by the fact Outlander Season 2 starts this weekend?

      Delete
    2. You're DEFINITELY not alone there!

      Delete
  6. Hi Cassandra. I loved discovering the places we have all made our own for writing in. Fascinating differences of neat and cluttered, silent and noisy. We're all individuals. Reading - I read while having breakfast and then in bed before sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Enisa. It's the same at my day job. Some people have seriously messy desks and some have very tidy ones. And, surprisingly, it has nothing to do with how much work they do. Some people just work better in a tidy environment. Reading while having breakfast! I'd be worried I'd get my cereal all over my book. Ha ha.

      Delete
  7. Love this. Amazing how different they all are. I really enjoy taking a peek at where all the writing magic happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna. Thank you so much for coming by. We always hope for writing magic to happen, don't we? It is easier to do it when you have such a great space in which to disappear into our fictional worlds.

      Delete
  8. A really interesting article, Cassandra. I loved seeing other writers' workspaces and comparing them with my workspace-to-be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see how it looks when it's all done Sharon. A roll top just screams writer, doesn't it?

      Delete

We love getting comments. Why not leave one?!