Monday 25 July 2016

Romantic Movies, Oh My!


Image courtesy of Giphy
Welcome to our 100th blog post!

We Breathless girls are so excited to be celebrating another milestone in our blogging journey. Over the last (nearly) 3 years we've brought you some fantastic posts and hosted some wonderful guest bloggers. We hope you've enjoyed reading our blog as much as we've loved putting it together for you.
Here to kick off our next 100 is the fabulous Miranda!



Hello darlings, Miranda here this wintry July.


I imagine every single reader and writer out there loves going to the movies. Yes? (Yes you do, you know I'm right.) We love romance, we love our happy endings, we love to sit and have a happy weep as the Big Kiss at the end happens - everything to enjoy. And if you've got a gorgeous leading lady and a swoonworthy hero like Chris Hemsworth or Tom Hiddleston, boom! Every seat is filled. Ahem. Now I've got your attention with these lovely boys (you're welcome), moving on...


Photo credit: www.imdb.com

To my sometime horror, the category for romance can get a wee bit muddied at the box office. Romance like you've never seen it before or some such is advertised with a smoochy poster, and then, yikes, the leading man or lady is killed off (or missing or terminally ill or, or - you get the drift), and there is a weepy ending. Whaaaat? I came to get my romantic HEA fix, not rip through a box of tissues! So, no. Bring on the romance where they walk off together into the sunset, and the gold light is the sun being blindingly reflecting off a big blingy engagement ring. Not the light glinting off the coffin rails or something equally sad. Get it right, peoples.


Photo credit: www.imdb.com

What are my favourite romantic movies? In a surprise for someSabrina is right up at #1 for me. I like the original (see here), I truly do, but Humphrey Bogart sort of misses the mark for me as a romantic hero. (And sorry, I realised I've committed social suicide with that Bogart confession and some of you may never talk to me again... {clears throat} ...Anyhoo...) My #1 choice is the Harrison Ford/Julia Ormond Sabrina remake. It has a charming, light, amusing touch, and Greg Kinnear as the younger brother also contributes to the overall happy mood every time I watch it.


Photo credit: www.imdb.com


Then there's Ever After, which I will love to my dying day. The film uses the lovely Cinderella theme, absolute catnip for romance readers. But Danielle doesn't wait for the hero to save the day, no indeed. She saves herself, gets the gorgeous prince, and foils her fuming family. Go, Danielle! Every romance heroine thanks you. But oh, oh, oh, the tenderness of her unfolding love. So romantic, so special, and she's so pretty with her wings and glitter. Then when all seems bleak, hiyah! she's an out-there, gutsy heroine. If you haven't already, get yourself a copy and settle in. You won't be disappointed. 


Photo credit: www.imdb.com


Last but by no means least, who can ever forget Notting Hill, where a guy stands in front of a girl (and the whole world) and tells her he loves her. I loved the whole bookshop setting, his great kooky friends, and the way she saw beyond her own Hollywood nonsense and simply fell in love with that guy. Sigh. I was so looking for Hugh Grant when I was in Notting Hill a couple of years ago. (Tragically didn't spot him, Julia Roberts or that blue door, but I managed to find some lovely red beads in the Portobello Road market. No consolation, but I enjoy wearing them.)



Photo credit: www.imdb.com

I haven't even begun on all the romantic mini series, but I might save that for another day.

What's your favourite romantic film? It was really hard to reduce my list to three only. I mean to say, that's ridiculous, there is so much romantic film fabulousness out there. Do comment and let me know.

Till next time, darlings!

Love from Miranda xxx

 


I love to love:

Our Aussie winter! The sun still shines, and you can snuggle down with a hot drink and read, read, read. Or watch Sabrina again.

I love to learn:

Tomorrow's weather forecast. So I can plan an indoor or outdoor fun (booky) thing to do.

I love to laugh:

At cute kitties pouncing on leaves on winter days, fur fluffing out and tails flying. Somehow winter and kitties go together. Something to do with the way they purr and loll in front of the fire.


16 comments:

  1. HUGE congratulations on 100 posts! Wonderful to see the blog doing so well. I read every post and look forward to notice of them popping into my inbox on a Monday morning.

    Thanks, Miranda, for the film fun. I'm going to have to hunt down Ever After now. That sounds smack in my zone. I'm going to be totally predictable and choose Love, Actually as my favourite. Can't help it. I just adore that film. I also adore Across the Universe because, well, BEATLES MUSIC!

    Congratulations again, and here's to the next 100 posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathryn, and a hundred thanks on popping by! I totally agree with your choice of Love, Actually - what a gorgeous movie, and so many delicious romantic strands that come together. Always makes me smile when I watch it (a good sign). I went to a recent Beatles cover concert, and hey, yes, BEATLES MUSIC ruled! People of all ages rocked along. So yes, on the basis of that I'd watch a movie featuring Beatles music. Add that one onto my TBW (To Be Watched) list, thanks. And by the way, giving a big shout out to your very beautiful April's Rainbow. That lovely book had all the feels... I love it, and the tissue box got a great workout...

      Delete
  2. Hi Miranda! Having been a starry-eyed movie-goer for most of my life I really enjoyed this post! I watched Ever After just the other day and it reconfirmed my love of this great movie (and of the gorgeous Drew Barrymore). Some of my other favourites are Dirty Dancing, An Officer and a Gentleman and Pretty Woman. Love an ending that leaves a smile that just won't go away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Dirty Dancing... Don't put Baby in the corner! And I almost included An Officer and a Gentleman on my Top 3. Ooh, that moment when he walks in, sweeps her up and carries her away. My wordy yes, yes, yes please. And as for Pretty Woman, what a gorgeous HEA ending. Absolutely fantastic. Plus, her red dress was a stunner. Thanks Marilyn.

      Delete
  3. Hi Miranda,I am not much of a movie buff,but I love Ghost,Pretty Woman,Top Gun & I also have to put Fifty Shades of Grey��������

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jocelyn, thanks for stopping by! And oh wow, good choices. I wondered if Fifty Shades might get a 'nomination...' Honestly, there is so much movie magic out there we can sigh and smile.

      Delete
  4. I really like the Lucky One with Zac Effron. I also love Music and Lyrics with Drew Barrymore and Hugh Grant. Yes, I love the 80s music, Hugh's very tight pants and daggy dad dance moves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music and Lyrics is right up there for me, too Cassandra. Both Drew Barrymore and Hugh Grant absolutely nail the romantic hero and heroine in movies, don't they? I haven't watched The Lucky One...yet! Another for the TBW list! Loving all these suggestions.

      Delete
  5. My absolute favourite is "Pretty Woman". Love the story, characters, clothes, music and songs, simply everything about it. Can watch it again and again. I also love Notting Hill - oh, that scene where Julia Roberts says "I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her"...that just pulls at my heart. And the other in my top 3 is "Sweet Home Alabama". When young Melanie asks "Why would you want to marry me for, anyhow?" and young Jake replies "So I can kiss you anytime I want", and then the lightning strikes, it's just...Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darling Enisa, I just knew you were going to mention Pretty Woman. It certainly ranks right up there as an amazing sort of Cinderella movie, rags to riches. So glad you love Notting Hill like me. And wow, I almost forgot about Sweet Home Alabama. I could watch it just for the Southern accents anytime, and the romance is super dazzling, my wordy yes. Any time someone says that to me and lightning strikes, wow indeed.

      Delete
  6. Sue Gerhardt Griffiths25 July 2016 at 20:01

    Congrats on 100 posts!

    Ooh romantic movies - there are so many gorgeous ones to choose from. My three favourites are Love Actually, Pretty Woman and My Best Friend's Wedding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, and thanks so much for stopping by. I can see you're a Julia Roberts fan from the second two films - and doesn't she simply light up the screen in any film she's in? What a fabulous actress, she is stunning as a romantic lead. And Love Actually is proving to be a staple fave for all us romance movie buffs. Is really is a romance go-to for a night on the lounge, with popcorn...

      Delete
  7. And, ooh, Miranda, I was lucky enough to have the blue door pointed out to me when I visited Notting Hill during my travel through Britain. Of course I did the touristy thing and took a photo of it. It's my 'six degrees of separation' connection. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaah, the elusive blue door. So bummed I missed it. Lucky you, Enisa! Awesome memory for you.

      Delete
  8. Hi Miranda, I love watching romantic movies. My favourites are Pretty Woman, Ever After and French Kiss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes and yes! I haven't watched French Kiss for years, Sharon. I remember laughing through it, such fun. Must add that to the pile TBW again. Oh, so many movies, so little time. I love a romantic evening on the lounge...

      Delete

We love getting comments. Why not leave one?!