Monday 2 April 2018

Romance Around The World: Ireland

The Romance of Ireland
by Sharon Bryant

I love Ireland. Rolling green fields, fast flowing brooks, ancient stone walls. A place of legend, wonder and romance. I find the Celtic culture and history fascinating. And there are so many wonderful Irish romance novels to read. Here are three of my favourites.

pixabay.com.au
A Gathering Storm

A Gathering Storm by Sheena Lambert tells the story of Christine Grogan, who is haunted by tragic events in her past, and Mark Harrington, an incredibly successful banker, who knows something is undeniably missing from his life. The journey to romance these two unlikely lovers take is a real page turner.

Beneath an Irish Sky

In Beneath an Irish Sky, Luke Kiernan wakes in hospital to find that his mother has tragically died. He must accept help from the man he hates most, his father Jack. Luke and Jack have much to resolve, and are assisted in solving their problems by two special women. This intriguing novel with elements of romance is a delight to read.


The Cad and the Co-ed

Reading The Cad and the Co-ed was fun from start to finish. Eilish became a mother when she was very young. Too young. Cut off from her family, she accepted support from her favourite cousin - a footballer who plays on the same team as the father of her child. There is no point telling the father about his child. The man is a self-centred cad who treated her badly and couldn't even remember her name.

Bryan is determined to prove that he has changed. No more getting drunk. No more one-night stands. He wishes to settle down with the right woman, and Eilish is the right woman for him, or so he thinks. This unlikely couple are thrown together when Eilish has little choice but to accept a job as physiotherapist for Bryan's football team.


Which romance novels set in Ireland have you enjoyed the most?


I love to love: So many wonderful romance novels to read. So much fun to share.

I love to laugh: We saw David Williamson's latest play at the Ensemble theatre last weekend. I think part of the fun of watching good comedy is being able to laugh at yourself.

I love to learn: To me travel is the best teacher, and Ireland is one of the best places to learn. The Celtic cultural history is fascinating.


11 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon. Gorgeous Ireland has so much history, so many myths and legends. A fascinating place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Enisa, such a beautiful place and a wonderful setting for romance novels.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sharon! I've never been to Ireland but I am about to remedy that next month when I'll be spending a week in Dublin. Looking forward to it so much! To get myself in an Irish mood I think I'll have to read one of these great recommendations. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn, I hope you have a wonderful time and that you enjoy whichever of these books you choose to read. Maybe all three.

      Delete
  3. I've been to Ireland too. It is a very diverse place. I expected rolling green hills everywhere but it is quite rugged in places. Great fodder for stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cassandra, such a wonderful country for romance. To say nothing of the history, culture and scenery. All in all an ideal setting for a romance novel.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sharon, Sorry I'm late coming in after the long weekend, but I enjoyed your blog.
    These stories sound great. Your question about what books I've read which have been set in Ireland has made me wonder. I'm sure I must've read some over the years, yet none spring to mind. Will have to remedy that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alyssa, thanks for your feedback. I hope you had a lovely long weekend, and enjoy reading some romances set in Ireland.

      Delete
  5. You’re talking my airish language, Sharon! I spent a month there last year and totally fell in love with the place. I would go back in a heartbeat. I found a lot of Irish books to read prior to the holiday, and now can’t stop reading them. Your suggestions are wonderful, more to add to my ‘Irish list’ and enjoy! Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant Irish language, not ‘airish’... Sigh.

      Delete
  6. Hi Malvina, Ireland is such a special country. Like you, I loved visiting there, and am thoroughly enjoying books set in The Emerald Isle.

    ReplyDelete

We love getting comments. Why not leave one?!