Monday 10 December 2018

Miranda's Bumper Christmas Musings!

Darlings, if you're a faithful blog reader with BITB, you'll know I get totally excited about Christmas and the exciting plethora of Christmas reading that floods in. Bring it on, I say, I love it! Here's a little taste of what I've been reading so far.

Something New:

Each year I simply cannot wait for Debbie Macomber's Christmas release. My life is not complete without reading her fabulous festive offering. Alaskan Holiday has a wilderness setting, the remote little town of Ponder. It pretty much packs up and leaves each winter, except for a few hardy souls. Josie Avery is also on her way out of town to her dream job as a sous chef in Seattle...but she misses the last boat out of town! Cue drama and angst! Cue (private) delight from reserved swordsmith - the smitten Palmer Saxton, who now has the chance to woo Josie into staying, forever. Swoon. 


Picture credit: amazon.com

Something Magical:

Alaska put me in mind of Kristin Hannah, whose latest release The Great Alone is also set in Alaska (great read). Do yourself a favour. Rewind a few years and discover her absolutely magical Christmas novel Comfort & Joy. Joy Candellaro used to love Christmas, but doesn't anymore, and it's heartbreaking as to why. Then she meets a little boy facing Christmas without his mother...and things change. Suspend disbelief and simply enjoy this very special book. 


Picture credit: amazon.com

Something Different:

Don't know about you, but every now and then I love reading Manga romance. I find them unique and fun, a throwback to some time ago (cough) when I was young and used to read comics all the time. I loved them then and still do. With Manga I get to combine both loves: comics + romance. Why not give Her Christmas Romeo a go? Quick to read, a lovely Cinderella story line from Carole Mortimer, and gorgeous illustrations from Kaoru Shinozaki, a romance illustrator with a tremendous backlist. Don't forget to read it backwards (you get used to it); enjoy!

Picture credit: amazon.com

Something Aussie:

Can't help it. I'm a biased Aussie and I love reading Christmas stories based here, even though our Christmas is hot and steamy, not the winter wonderland of the northern hemisphere. Our Country Christmas is a terrific anthology from top-notch Aussie authors Darry FraserPenelope JanuFiona LoweEva Scott  and Jacquie Underdown. There might have been tears when I read your story, Darry, I saw what you were doing (sigh). And I love the baby Fiona gives us - such a cute Christmas present. All different stories, all very moving, even Penelope's prickly pear heroine, who can be melted...

Picture credit: amazon.com
Something Regency:

Earlier in the year Anne Gracie, generous as always, sent me this amazing Regency anthology, The Last Chance Christmas Ball.  Oh my, look at the line up of authors! It was really hard to not read it before Christmas, but as December arrived I dived in with joy. All eight stories are linked around characters planning to attend The Last Chance Christmas Ball, held just after Christmas, 1815. It's absolutely delightful to see the same characters dipping in and out of the stories, hello again, hello again, swoon, swoon, hello again, etc., as eight couples find love. I couldn't put this book down, it's so lovely and lush and romantic. Add it immediately to your Christmas reading! It's poignant to see here a story from Jo Beverley, who sadly passed away after the book came out a few years ago; her story is a true gift. If you'd like to hear more from some of the authors, pop over and subscribe to the Word Wenches newsletter for your Regency fix.

Picture credit: amazon.com

Three more Christmas books - can you last the distance?!

Something, uh, Grinchy:

Well, bah humbug, there's always someone who might spoil Christmas for us, isn't there? Happily, in Starlight Bend (isn't that a lovely name?), love conquers Grinchy growly moments. Seriously, he growls at her, which made me laugh. The Grinch of Starlight Bend by Jennifer Probst is a quick read for a busy day, a heartwarming Christmassy romance that's also a bit Beauty & the Beast, yum! (In fact, the B&tB library in this book gave me an instant case of library lust.) I love social workers, I'm one in another life, so this is a pretty special story. And wow, another super luscious cover! 

Picture credit: amazon.com

Something Inspirational:

Melody Carlson, award winning Inspirational author, gives us tender Christmas stories each year. This year it's A Christmas by the Sea, with a widow and her 12 year old son trying to fix their beachside cottage to sell, to pay the debts from her late husband's cancer treatments. Already your heart wrenches, doesn't it? Along comes local craftsman Caleb Colton. I'm in. I'm in, I'm in, I'm totally into this book. A sweet inspirational about spiritual growth and provision from on high. (P.S. I think I could live in that divine little cottage, and I totally loved the shell decorations.)

Picture credit: amazon.com

Something with Amnesia:

Their Christmas Miracle by Barbara Wallace is really something special. I love the amnesia plot, where Rosalind is shocked when her husband accidentally finds her in an isolated hotel in the wilds of Scotland (and there is a slight mystery about that hotel, hmmm). She's forgotten everything about her life before 6 months ago - and then she starts remembering snippets...and they're not always complimentary to her... Wonderfully, miracles do happen at Christmas!

Picture credit: amazon.com

Last but definitely not least (thanks for staying with me!):

Something Fun:

Office romance! Geeky computer guy! Sunshiney heroine! Unrequited love! Disastrous Christmas party! Casualty department! All the fun stuff! Tinsel in a Tangle by Ainslie Paton is fast and festive, guaranteed to give you all the feels and put a smile on your face. Thanks, Ainslie, you rock.

Picture credit: amazon.com

I do hope that's given you some stocking stuffer ideas? Maybe you can pop one of these into your own stocking and settle down in a blissful post-Christmas moment to read, read, read.

Meanwhile, I'd love to hear what new Christmas books you've discovered? Show and tell!

Happy Christmas - and may all your presents be books!

Stay safe, and I can't wait to see you in 2019!

Until then, much love from Miranda xxx


Love to Love:
Everything Christmas. The tree, the lights, the gifts, the goodwill, church, family & friends, the food...etc!

Love to Laugh:
At the funny Grinch memes coming out. I'm totally keen to drag some children to the new Grinch movie.

Love to Learn:
I know I say it over and over, but tell me what Christmas reading you've discovered. Do share.

31 comments:

  1. Wow, Miranda, that is a huge list of Christmas books! I'm off to Alaska next year so perhaps I should read Debbie Macomber's book. I'm thrilled you enjoyed NEWBORN BABY FOR CHRISTMAS, which is my Aussie version of the Christmas story. Did you catch all the references from the virgin birth to the census (family reunion) to the three wise men? Merry Christmas! Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did, Fiona, clever you! Just lovely! So many special things about your story that I was enraptured to read it. A lovely way to bring the family all together. And WOW, Alaska...ooh... I am rather envious, it's on my bucket list for 'eventually', whatever that is. Lucky, lucky you. So many books are set there, and it looks so absolutely beautiful - but only for the intrepid in winter. Thanks for stopping by, and have a wonderful Christmas!

      Delete
  2. So many books to choose from. Thanks Miranda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cassandra! And psst! guess what's on my post-Christmas TBR? Your gorgeous looking Collector of Hearts. I can't believe I haven't read it already. I love the week between Christmas and New Year for its 'down time' and eating leftovers (so I'm a bit lazy in the kitchen then). I have a holiday from housework and enjoy reading the week through. Can't wait. Happy Christmas to you and your lovely family.

      Delete
  3. So many reasons to indulge in a Christmas romance. Some fantastic books by incredibly talented authors. Thanks for including Our Country Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacquie, I love your 'homecoming' story in Our Country Christmas, and how it's all about belonging somewhere. My heart went out to your heroine Brielle, but I also found her strong and lovely. Luke was a wonderful 'match' for her. Sometimes finding your home is right under your nose, where you least expect it. Thankyou for your amazing stories, and please keep writing - and I'll keep reading! And yes, talent + in the line-up. But there is something very special about an Aussie Christmas, isn't there. Have a wonderful Christmas!

      Delete
  4. Anne Gracie, beautifully generous, has just offered a free copy of The Last Chance Christmas Ball to one lucky commenter, so comment away! If I already didn't own a copy, I'd be scrambling at the chance. It's a fabulous Christmas read. Thanks so much, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree with you, Miranda. I only finished reading Anne's story in the wee hours of this morning.

      Delete
    2. Oh Robyn, how fabulous. Isn't it a warm, feel-good, festively romantic read? Just the best. So glad you enjoyed it too. x

      Delete
  5. Hi Miranda

    Some fabulous book there I too have been reading some Christmas stories and I have a couple of these on my TBR pile, I do recommend the Last Chance Christmas Ball I loved that one and Ainslie Paton's Tinsel in a Tangle is a fun story and Our Country Christmas is fast moving up towards top of the pile

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, you are an amazing star romance reader! I'm so glad you liked some of these stories as much as me. Absolutely encourage you to enjoy Our Country Christmas, I loved the Aussie feel to the stories. Have you had any other wonderful Christmas reading you can recommend?

      Delete
    2. Yes I read and loved Nina Singh's Christmas With Her Secret Prince and The Christmas Key although this is the fourth in a series by Phillipa Nefri Clark and you need to read them all but they all are fab and The Laird's Christmas Kiss Anna Campbell :)

      I do love Christmas stories at this time of the year
      have Fun

      Helen

      Delete
    3. Adding to my list...! Thanks Helen, wonderful.

      Delete
  6. Hi Miranda! As always, you've delivered a fabulous assortment of Christmas reads. Thank you! Now all I have to do is find some time to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Marilyn, there's always time to read...I hope! I find it as necessary as eating, really (well, maybe not quite, but still). If I don't read I feel super stressed as a result. Some people run or eat or go to the movies to relax. I guess I do go to the movies to relax, but my all-time relaxation go-to is: reading. Even if it's only 20 minutes at night, I look forward to it and carve time out. Hope you find time over the Christmas break to do just that. x

      Delete
  7. Hi Miranda. Wow, the books all sound like lovely reads, I want to read them all. Hmm, which to read first? As I love wallowing in the emotions, I think Kristin Hannah's Comfort and Joy. I read a sample of Anne Gracie's story in Last Chance Christmas Ball. Really, really loved meeting the heroine in those few pages, so definitely want to read her story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Enisa, every book listed above is a winner. I can't single one out above the other. I'm so grateful I had time to read them all over the last month, and now I'm onto another Christmas story set in the snowy UK. Log fires, crumpets dripping with butter and all that. I can't help myself with festive fare. I truly think you'd love The Last Chance Christmas Ball, it's a winner.

      Delete
  8. Miranda, you made my week. To see my little amnesia book with Debbie Macomber and Kristin Hannah - wow! I loved writing Their Christmas Miracle. I've always had a thing for Amnesia stories, and I was grateful my editor was willing to try something different. I hope your readers enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, welcome! How lovely you popped in to say hello! Not such a 'little' amnesia book in my opinion, it was fascinating - a book I simply couldn't put down because I had to see how it turned out. Such a fabulous new take on that trope, absolutely wonderful. I'm sure everyone who reads it will totally enjoy it. I loved the festive touches as well, and that little mystery surrounding the pub in the wilds of Scotland. Everything to enjoy. Have a wonderful Christmas, and do pop in again.

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much for mentioning my book! I love this list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! I'm just so thrilled you've swung by to say hello. I love the list too, mainly because I've read it all. But honestly, I loved it all! Your Grinch was fabulous. I think there are a lot of people out there who might be inclined to Grinchiness (I just made that word up, but I think it works), but they've been saved by the kind actions of others - which is indeed your fabulous book. Thanks so much for popping in - do come back - and have a wonderful Christmas!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks Alyssa! So glad you popped in to say hi. I love the list, I loved working on it and doing all the reading too. I hope it spreads some festive joy!

      Delete
  11. What a fascinating selection of books. Thank you Miranda. I’ll start downloading as soon as I get home. I always love your Christmas posts. This one looks extra special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! Hopefully you have down time to enjoy some reading over Christmas-New Year. Recommended by Dr Miranda. x

      Delete
  12. Thank you Miranda for mentioning my story in the anthology Our Country Christmas - how did I not see this before?? I had a lot of fun writing it - and a lot of fun being with other great Aussie authors! So glad you enjoyed The Drover! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Darry, I loved your Drover! I was moved to tears by this story, I truly was. These people had so little, but their hearts were so BIG! And I loved the magical touches all through the story - yes, I see what you did. What a wonderful tale. Hot, dusty, and yet incredibly special. Congratulations! And thanks so much for stopping by! Come back again. x

      Delete
  13. Thank you so much for featuring Our Country Christmas, Miranda. But most of all, thanks for the ready-made reading list. There are so many delicious books here. I'm going to crank up the aircon and snuggle in with a TBR pile the size of Everest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eva, thanks so much for stopping by! I loved your beautifully shy and a little bit awkward heroine in 'A Tale Of Three Christmases' - such a touching and tender story, with real life issues. Thanks for sharing her and the dreamy hero! Have a wonderful Christmas, and do enjoy that pile of reading!

      Delete
  14. ENISA, clear your calendar for some Christmas reading time! You are the WINNER of THE LAST CHANCE CHRISTMAS BALL, kindly donated by Anne Gracie! It should be arriving in the post soon. Happy Christmas! And thanks again, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you for the opportunity, and thanks so much Anne for gifting me The Last Chance Christmas Ball! I am going to so enjoy Christmas this year. I'm reading your book.

      Delete

We love getting comments. Why not leave one?!