Monday 16 March 2020

Australian Romance Readers Association Book Signing 2020

By Jayne Kingsley

Last August—post Romance Writers of Australia conference when I was all inspired with my bucket filled to the brim—I took the plunge and filled in an expression of interest form to do my first book signing. A wonderful and jolly good idea when one has a glass of champagne in hand and no real commitment on the table. But with that gusto in mind, I was thrilled when I was emailed my acceptance and officially committed myself to the ARR20 Sydney and Melbourne signings.

As life goes, I kept writing, did bits and bobs towards organising myself for what I thought I might need at a signing and tried to keep the anxiety that kept creeping up on me at bay. A room full of romance readers? I mean how scary could that concept be … really?

 
Image courtesy of Giphy.com

Regrettably I had to pull out of the Melbourne signing due to family commitments but on Saturday the 7th March, I jumped on a train and sped north into the glorious depths of Sydney and dived headfirst into my first ever book signing event.

It was absolutely amazing. Inspiring. Thrilling!

Was I still nervous? You betcha! I was a discombobulated ball of sweat as the time drew closer. But with my writing buddy sitting beside me, I knew I was in good company. I have made new author friends, saw some familiar faces and met loads of lovely new readers. One popped past to tell me she’d read my book just the prior night and loved it. Talk about walking on cloud nine!

Book Signing Table ARR20 Sydney with Megan Mayfair

The ladies who run the ARRA event are organised, delightful and all-around superstars in my mind!

In addition to the book signing, I attended the awards dinner the night before along with loads of other wonderful authors and readers. I was thrilled to have been nominated for three different awards and whilst I’d never imagined I’d win any, I was delighted (okay – I was literally in shock) when my book, Loving Lucas, was awarded the ARRA Favourite short or category romance 2019. Author dreams made.

My very pretty trophy and award winning book :)

I *may* have ended up buying more books than I sold at the signing, but I can honestly say it was the most wonderful experience and I’d highly recommend it. I’ve come away feeling proud of myself for overcoming my introvert tendencies, have made new friends, won an award and increased my TBR pile. What’s not to love about that!

How about you? Have you ever been to a book signing as an author or reader? I’d love to hear about it!

Love to Love Hanging out with my fellow writing buddies. 

Love to Laugh At the crazed toilet paper shortage. 

Love to Learn About other authors and their journeys to where they are today. 

13 comments:

  1. Woohoo go you Jayne

    It was fabulous meeting up again with you and I have been to a few signings over the years and love them, meeting favourite writers, getting to know new ones and the books :) what can I say

    Have Fun

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so lovely to see you again too, Helen :) I'm definitely sold on going to more ARRA ones in the future! xx

      Delete
  2. Hi Jayne. Huge congrats on your win! Wonderful news. ARRA signings are great, aren't they? Have been to two. Super way to catch up with authors and readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Enisa! It really was lots of fun once my nerves had settled hehehe xx

      Delete
  3. Huge congrats on your win, Jayne!!! And glad you had such a great time at the Author signing. ARRA does a wonderful job, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn :D The ARRA team are amazing! Such a lovely bunch and so organised - the whole event was seamless from my perspective!

      Delete
  4. Hi Jayne, weren't the ARRA events fun? The dinner, the High Tea, the book signing. I was there for it all and loved every second. And so so SO thrilled for you marvellous win! I could see your face from my seat at the next table, and you were all. whaaaaaat? uuhhhh… WHAAAAAAAT????? when your name was read out! Well done you, hurrah, sending you so much love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha yes I really thought I'd started hearing things when it was my name read out! Thank you so much, I really appreciate your kind words and support :D :D Next time I need to attend the high tea - the dinner and signing were fabulous so I can only imagine the high tea was too! xx

      Delete
  5. Congratulations Jayne, but I'm not surprised. You're an amazing writer and one of the nicest people I know. Hope there are many more books on the horizon. Save one of those books for me (signed thanks)! I'll gladly pay to have that on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Suzie, thank you!!! Right back at you lady xxx

      Delete
  6. My first signing was an ARRA event. Such a great organisation for authors and readers. Congratulations on your well deserved award.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish I'd been there. It sounds so lovely. And I'm sure you and your books shone Jayne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jayne, thanks for sharing the excitement of a book signing with us. It sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete

We love getting comments. Why not leave one?!