Monday 10 July 2017

Miranda's Musings about Irish Meanderings...


Darlings, I've just had the most fabulous holiday in Ireland. Yes, I can see you're green with envy, and I would be too if I was you! Actually, the whole of Ireland is emerald green because it rains every day. Your brolly and raincoat become your new BFFs there. I saw castles and libraries (those magnificent old books!), learned about Vikings and Celts, famines, the 1916 Easter Uprising and The Troubles, blundered through two film sets, and heard lots of stories - and some might even have been true. I enjoyed terrific dancing and singing, drank Guinness, ate potatoes (they taste far better in Ireland) and saw so much incredible scenery my eyes and heart went into overload.
 

The Dark Hedges, Ballymoney, a
Game of Thrones scene for
'The King's Highway'.

I did a literary tour, so drenched myself with literature from Irish greats such as James Joyce, Seamus Heaney, Patrick Kavanagh, Lady Gregory, WB Yeats, CS Lewis, Oliver Goldsmith, Maria Edgeworth, Oscar Wilde, Jonathan Swift, JM Synge, the delightful Maeve Binchy - the list goes on and on... At times, as when mired in the fat bio of Patrick Kavanagh, I wondered why on earth I was doing this. But it paid off tremendously. I appreciated Ireland a million times more because of the reading.

However, darlings, I do adore coming back to romance. It is my go-to genre, the one I love and will always come back to between big, fat classics and all other genres. So imagine my delight to discover this pretty green gem at the exchange bookcase at my Dublin hotel:


Image credit: amazon.com

I literally pounced on it and then discovered all four authors have signed it. Wow! WOW! I was going to read it and leave it there for the next romance addict, we are many after all, but somehow this little treasure made its way home with me. Whoever left it has my undying love and thanks.

When you travel, do you immerse yourself in the stories of the area? Do you trawl the local bookshops and drool and wish your weight limit was 100kg and you could buy it all? I certainly did, and all the others in the group were also irresistibly lured. Some desperately hoped their carry ons would never be weighed because they were full of books and probably weighed as much as the plane itself. Some tossed out toiletries and clothes (I'm not making this up) to squeeze in just...one...more...book...


Charlie Byrne's Bookshop, Galway, a treasure trove of new and used books
with rooms that went on and on... I spent most of a heavenly afternoon here.

Since I've come home I've read four more Irish stories; I can't seem to stop and I've loved them all. But the romances are elbowing their way back in and I'm loving them too.

What you do on holidays? Put your feet up with a romance? Read local authors to get the 'local flavour' before and during? Download them then and there onto your Kindle and launch in? Write down every new book you discover and plan to read it when you get home?

Can't wait to hear from you!

 

Love from Miranda xxx


Love to Love:     All things Irish. Seriously.
Love to Laugh:  At the Irish blarney. My bus driver told the best jokes.
Love to Learn:   Irish history. I was staggered at how much I didn't know.

 

9 comments:

  1. Hi Miranda! You're Irish holiday sounds wonderful! One of my most enjoyable holidays was spent in Wales. We had a few days at Hay-on-Wye and went to the Literary Festival. The bookshops in Hay are to die for! Room after room of...books! I love to immerse myself in the literature of the country I'm visiting and came away from Wales with a fabulous story idea which I'm writing at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Hay-On-Wye, what a magnificent little treasure trove that is. I also spent an afternoon there and came away a little bit poorer... Okay, a lot poorer. Every book lover understands that! But how magnificent that you've now been inspired to write a story based on your Welsh visit. I can't wait to read it, Marilyn, that's wonderful.
    Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a holiday full of adventure both real life and in books. If I find a great book on holidays I usually buy it and tuck it away for when I get home unless I've read the book I brought with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I confess I do this as well as try and read some 'local' colour, Cassandra! It's handy to have the Kindle while travelling, at least you don't end up with that heavy suitcase full of books.
      Miranda

      Delete
  4. Ireland - great place, great people. I loved it, too, though when and wherever I travel, I don't spend much time reading. Or relaxing. I love exploring, so I'm on the move the whole trip, getting to know the place and the people. I do check out bookshops, but whatever I buy gets read when I'm home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Enisa, travelling and reading often don't mix well because you're on the go so much. You want to fill every moment with your eyes and ears instead, seeing the country and enjoying the vibe. But lovely to catch up at home and keep dreaming about that lovely time you've had.
      Miranda xx

      Delete
  5. Hi Miranda, I love holidays. Visiting new places, more time with family and friends, and reading. Lots of reading - old favourites and the chance to discover new authors. I'm going to Ireland for the first time later this year. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word, I'm first in line to carry your bags to Ireland! How utterly fabulous, Sharon! I think discovering new authors was the most exciting part of the trip for me - and the part that will linger. Plus the whole experience of being on holiday, of course. I read more when I'm home, but I guess I'm also not playing tourist as much at home...!
      Miranda

      Delete

We love getting comments. Why not leave one?!