Monday 11 May 2015

Miranda's Musings

Monday 11th May, 2015

Isn't this cool weather wonderful? The perfect chance to stock up on books as the days get shorter, my darlings. And I do hope you Mums got spoilt on Mother's Day yesterday with a little chocolate or a lovely new dressing gown and slippers, or some delicious new books! Forget the vacuum cleaners and kitchen stuff (those ads are written by men), I always hint for books, books, books!

What did I love to love this month?

Roses for Sophie by Alyssa J Montgomery. Alyssa is a personal friend of mine - yes, lucky me - and a simply wonderful writer. I've always been her biggest fan. In this book two powerful people come together: Logan, a billionaire diamond miner, and mining heiress Sophie (the premise might seem a bit gasp-worthy but it totally works, trust me...). Both need to marry, fast, for two very different reasons. Oh, the angst. Oh, the emotional trauma. Oh, the hot hot steamy hot hot romance! Whew! No sweet get together, this couple explode off the page. The roses of the title are a lovely touch: Logan brings Sophie bunches of roses (the meaning of the different coloured roses is beautifully explained) - but she's waiting for the bunch of red roses, the ones that signify true love... Will she get them?! IMHO, the wait is so worth it... What's your favourite flower? Have you ever received a loving bunch from that Someone Special in your life? Oh, I do hope so. And pssst, if you loved this gorgeous book as much as I did, also try Echoes of the Heart. Anything by Alyssa is totally worth the emotional ride!

What did I love to laugh at this month?

You may laugh at me, actually, but certainly not at this next book!... Sometimes we get a wee bit stuck in our ways, hmm? Yes, shockingly, c'est moi. I admit it. It takes a book just a tad out of my comfort zone (maybe with a ghostie and everything) to make me realise that, hey, I need to broaden my reading horizons - and in doing so, find reading treasure. Young Adult books are totally exploding at the moment, and if you think they're just for YA's, think again! This Is Your Afterlife by Vanessa Barneveld hits all the right buttons. Well written, thought-provoking, with a fabulous teen romance (and the ghost) to sweeten the deal. Give it a go, and let me know what you think? I think you'll be pleasurably surprised. Go for it.



 

What did I love to learn this month?

That I love to read romances about places I've been. My last holiday was to the Deep South in the US and I've been loading up my Kindle. These tempting goodies are on my reading list right now, and I can't wait to read them!
Louisiana Longshot by Jama Deleon
Bayou Bride by Jennifer Blake
Frankly My Dear by Sandra Hill


Don't they all sound wonderful? Have you read any? I did a lot of wandering around Gone With The Wind country, so the Sandra Hill might be first up...

Can't wait to hear from you all. And if you did get books for Mother's Day, oh, let me be jealous and tell all....

Till next month,

Miranda xx



18 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review Miranda. I'm glad you loved Roses for Sophie! In Dallas, Texas right now for RT Convention 2015. Wish all from BIB were here too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alyssa, wow, have fun at the Romantic Times Convention! Oooh, Dallas... I did pass through it on my way to Gone-With-The-Wind country, but all I saw of the city was from the airport windows, sigh... Enjoy, enjoy! And keep writing your fabulous books, please. I'm sure I'm only one of your thousands of fans who can't wait for your next bestseller.

      Miranda xx

      Delete
  2. Happy Monday, Miranda! Thanks so much for posting a lovely review of This Is Your Afterlife. It's so nice to hear you enjoyed my YA.

    I've spent a bit of time in Gone With the Wind country and loved it too, so I'll be grabbing Frankly My Dear to warm up my cold winter nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanessa, so happy you stopped by! You have indeed made my Monday brighter. And I see you've also got a lovely short story 'The Tweetest Thing' out in an anthology, which I will be queuing up to read. Here's the URL for your fans: http://tinyurl.com/kghmevm Oh, what bliss! Keep writing, Vanessa, you bring us much love.

      Miranda xx

      Delete
  3. Thank you Miranda. I've read two of these wonderful books Roses for Sophie and This is your after life and totally agree with your reviews. Now I will have to add these other southern books as they sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you must, Cassandra. Although, have you ever read any books about places you've been? Always such a delight to be back 'on your holiday', so to speak...

      Miranda

      Delete
  4. Miranda! What awesome picks you have for us this month! Thank you! I've read Roses for Sophie and This Is Your Afterlife and loved both. Looking forward to getting stuck into some of your Southern comfort romances next! Thanks for all your research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dee, you lovely lady, you. Reading romance is the most delightful 'research' to do! I'm one of those people who read, read, read, every chance I can get. Bliss. What's your fave romance subgenre? Hard to pick 'just one', I know....

      Miranda x

      Delete
    2. Favourite sub-genre...ooo that is a hard one, but I think I'd have to go with historical romances.

      Delete
    3. Well, then, 'Frankly My Dear' will be right up your alley, Dee. I'll pick some historical romances next time, promise...

      Miranda x

      Delete
  5. Hi Miranda. I've read Roses for Sophie and This is your Afterlife. Enjoyed both very much. Have read Jana DeLeon. She also writes rom sus set in Louisiana, a setting I like a lot. GWTW is a sentimental fave of mine. Read it when I was 11.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enisa, you are so well read! How marvellous! Have you any other suggestions for some good reading this month?

      Miranda xx

      Delete
    2. Huge Nora Roberts fan that I am, I can recommend her latest, The Liar. Nora never disappoints!

      Delete
    3. Huge Nora Roberts fan that I am, I can recommend her latest, The Liar. Nora never disappoints!

      Delete
    4. I love the way you love Nora Roberts, Enisa. And psst! I've just downloaded it onto my Kindle. So many books, so little time! Great suggestion, thanks!

      Miranda x

      Delete
  6. Always look forward to your reviews and suggestions, Miranda, and having read a couple of these books I have agree with your recommendations.
    On the subject of Mothers Day pressies, along with a Philippa Gregory, I also received a new washing machine for my newly renovated laundry, and I have to say I just LOVE it (don't judge me :) ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Marilyn, I would never judge... For something special like a renovated laundry I can imagine a new washing machine would be the ant's pants. Love these inventions that mean we can put the washing on and sit down with a nice cuppa and read until it finishes (in theory...). Enjoy your new Philippa Gregory, she's a marvellous author.

      Miranda xx

      Delete
  7. Hi Cassandra Samuels, thanks for the interesting and informative post. I hate reading reviews (of my own books because its scary) but love reading reviews on books I'd like to read. You are sooo right. A good review can make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete

We love getting comments. Why not leave one?!