Monday 10 April 2023

The myth and folklore that is the Easter bunny and his eggs

 By Cassandra Samuels

It is Easter Monday, so I wanted to talk about that other part of Easter.

Everyone loves Easter, if not for the religious aspect, then for the love of chocolate. How did a rabbit become tangled in all this? And how is it connected to eggs? That is what I am going to try and explain today. \

Courtesy of Creative Commons
 We all know they don’t lay eggs so how are chocolate eggs connected? To explain we must go all the way back to the Pagans. They celebrated the festival of Eostre or Ostara (a great northern goddess of Spring) whose symbol is the hare. 

courtesy of Creative Commons
Easter, as you know is not a fixed date every year, but is commanded by the phases of the moon, again a nod to the pagans. The hare also represents spring and fertility. We all know the saying about rabbits, so what about the eggs because we all know rabbits do not lay them. 

 

Photo by Bermix Studio on Unsplash

Since ancient times German folklore has connected rabbits and eggs where the Easter Rabbit puts colourful eggsin nests and baskets of good little children. They then took this custom with them as they migrated around the world.  

The Greeks have a more orthodox reason for dying eggs red at Easter. The egg is dyed red to represent Christ’s blood, its shell the tomb of Jesus and the cracking of the shell the resurrection from the dead and escaping his tomb. 

Photo by ALEXANDRA TORRO on Unsplash


But what about the chocolate? I hear you ask. In the early 19th century France and Germany started introducing chocolate eggs as eating chocolate. Before that chocolate was consumed as a drink but once they perfected the process of separating Cocoa from the seed, they were able to start using chocolate as it is mostly consumed today. Apparently, Fry and sons around 1860 invented the first chocolate bar from paste, sugar, cocoa butter, and chocolate liquor and moulded into a bar. Fry’s first chocolate easter egg was around 1873. 

Courtesy of Preston's Museum

The first Cadbury Easter egg was made in 1875 and now there are more types of Easter chocolate than you could possibly consume. 

So, there you have it. Easter is a combination of folklore, festivals, and religion. Over time they have become combined in a celebration that can be shared by all.  

I hope your Easter break was a wonderful one. How is your Easter spent? Have you ever read a Romance novel set over Easter? 

Love to love watching the children participating in the Easter egg hunt. 

Love to learn all about how the first chocolate eggs were made and how they related to the Easter Bunny. 

Love to laugh at my silly new puppy Buddy as he plays with his toys.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Cassandra. Traditions, both religious and otherwise, are fascinating, and yes, many, including Easter, can trace their origins to the Pagans. Very interesting post about how chocolate eggs came to be but just as interesting was discovering that in the US Easter eggs are candy ones and also plastic eggs filled with candy. The American girlfriend of an Aussie was shocked to discover we have chocolate eggs. We learn new things daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that too but after I'd done this post. They must really like their lollies - sorry candy.

      Delete
  2. Cassandra, I don't think I knew most of that! Thanks so much for telling us more about the history! I always celebrate a very religious Easter, but we also eat lots of Easter eggs and hot cross buns! Very definitely a favourite time of year. I was also born on Easter Sunday, it must be a good sign. We always have family get togethers and a big feast together on Easter Sunday, so nice and special. My favourite chocolate egg is the plain old Cadbury's egg. There are some luscious ones out there, including from a local chocolate shop and Haig's close by, but give me a Cadbury's egg and I'm happy. Some of the little ones in my family don't like chocolate, so we find plastic eggs and fill them with lollies for them so they don't miss out. I didn't know that about America, Enisa, how amazing. But any way you look at it, such a special and lovely time. I have read a few Love Inspired romances set at Easter and enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the plain Cadbury eggs too. But my fave is the Malteser Bunny. Yum.

      Delete
  3. Hi Cassandra! Such an interesting article. For me, what I enjoy most about Easter is family gatherings and the Easter egg hunt with the littlies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my favourite part too. This year I had all my grandsons here so it was extra special.

      Delete
  4. Thank you Cassandra for a very interesting article. I don't think I've ever read a romance novel set over Easter. I'm not sure why Easter isn't as big a family time in our extended family as Christmas is, but Christmas has always traditionally been the time when EVERYONE tries to get home. There's always a family gathering at Easter but it's never as large.
    Interesting to explore Easter traditions. Some German friends sent me photos of their village where all the fountains are cleaned then Easter egg ornaments are hung all around/over the structure of the fountains.
    Hope you had a wonderful Easter and enjoyed the egg hunt...and still have some chocolate left to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why it doesn't seem to be as big a "thing" as Christmas but what I do know is that lots of chocolate is consumed and quite a bit of seafood too. I don't think I have ever read an Easter romance, either.

      Delete
  5. Hi Cassandra, Happy Easter. We spent Easter in Mollymook this year. The weather was mostly beautiful. We went kayaking on Narrawallee Inlet and did lots of riding on our e-bikes. I make a special chocolate cake each Easter. My mother used to make it. It is decorated with small chocolate Easter eggs and a special chicken egg cup she received as a present in the early 1930s. I've never read an Easter romance novel. I would like to do so.

    ReplyDelete

We love getting comments. Why not leave one?!