Monday 6 August 2018

Romance Around The World: Spain

By Sharon Bryant
The Rich History and Culture of Spain


pixabay.com
Spain has a diverse and fascinating history. The largest country in Southern Europe, in the early modern period, it was the first global empire in the world leaving a huge cultural heritage. Its art, traditions, music and food have been influenced over the centuries by a series of invaders, and by its location in the Western Mediterranean. The rich history and culture of Spain make it the perfect setting for a romance novel.


 Indiscretion


Indiscretion by Hannah Fielding is set in 1950, in post-war Spain. Alexandra de Falla, a romance novelist, travels to Andalusia in search of her estranged family on her father’s side. There she falls in love with a proud, passionate and intense Spanish count who disturbs and excites her. The cultural divide between her English home and her newfound Spanish one lead Alexandra on a tumultuous journey of love, intrigue and personal growth.



The Summer House By The Sea


The Summer House By The Sea by Jenny Oliver is set in modern-day Spain. When Ava’s elderly grandmother dies, just after she herself survives a bus accident, she decides to journey from England to her grandmother’s Spanish villa for a fresh start. She meets and falls in love with Tom, a retired actor. Ava’s brother Rory’s career is virtually destroyed after he makes one very foolish decision. His marriage was already on the rocks. Rory journeys to Spain with his young son, Max, and tries to mend things with his wife who is still back home in the U.K.


Billionaire M.D. by Olivia Gates 



When Cybele awakens in hospital, she has lost all memory of her past life. Her husband Mel is dead and she learns she is pregnant. Cybele is being cared by Rodrigo Valderrama, M.D. When she is well enough to leave hospital, Rodrigo takes Cybele to his villa to convalesce. Cybele is attracted to Rodrigo, but cannot fathom how he is connected to her past. Her memories are slowly returning.



Have you read and loved any romance novels set in Spain? What was your favourite?


I love to love: We’re travelling to country NSW to see our eldest daughter soon. I can’t wait.



I love to laugh: We saw Unqualified at the Ensemble Theatre last weekend. The comedy was infectious. I couldn’t stop laughing.



I love to learn: My husband and I just spend the most marvellous few hours doing a backstage tour of the Sydney Opera House.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon. I haven't been to Spain but I've read a lot about it. Some great history, some not to great (Spanish Inquisition comes to mind). Either way, it is fascinating to read about. I haventh read any mainstream novels set there but the category romance genres abound with Spanish set stories and Spanish heroes. I have read many but my favourites are the stories by Helen Bianchin. Love her heroes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Enisa, Helen Bianchin is a great author isn't she? It's interesting how Spanish settings are more common in category romance than in mainstream.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sharon, lots of great titles. I loved travelling to Spain. And, for a bit of shameless self promotion (!) readers may also like to check out my title "A Spanish Seduction". Really enjoying your blogs. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alyssa, I'll add "A Spanish Seduction" to my TBR list.

      Delete
  3. Spain - who doesn't love their dances, their food (tapas yum) and Andalusian horses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cassandra, I agree Spain has so much to offer to the romance author.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sharon, I've never been to Spain and don't know a lot about it, but these romances look intriguing. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Marilyn. It's always fun discovering new romance authors.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for featuring my novel in your literary travels. Spain has long been one of my favourite countries - so vibrant and warm; so passionate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah, I loved "Indiscretion" and look forward to reading more of your novels. Thanks so much for dropping by. Spain is a beautiful country. I can't wait to see more of it.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for dropping by Hannah.Really looking forward to reading your book.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for dropping by our blog, Hannah. Your book has intrigued me. Must get myself a copy.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for featuring Summerhouse. Spain is one of my all time favourite holiday destinations. In fact we're going back there in a couple of weeks - so no doubt it will pop up in another book soon. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny! Ooh, lucky you! Isn't it great to be able to justify travelling by setting our books in different and wonderful parts of the world?

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much for dropping by Jenny. I loved reading "Summerhouse by the Sea" and look forward to reading more of your novels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jenny. I've never been to Spain but from all the love stories set there the country sounds like a great place to visit. And your book sounds just as lovely. Must read it.

    ReplyDelete

We love getting comments. Why not leave one?!