Monday 13 April 2020

Miranda's April Musings!

Comfort Reading Tips


Hello, precious people. And you are precious, each and every one of you! I sincerely hope and pray you and your loved ones are healthy, practicing social distancing, staying at home, washing your hands, and all that. My gosh, haven't we been hit sideways with this dreaded COVID-19? The world is so different from the last time I joyously wrote to you all.

I've been seeing lots of posts and blogs and mentions of comfort reads during this - I'll say it - unprecedented time. So I'd also like to pass on a few tips that work for me to keep me reading.

First, if you have trouble reading a full-length novel at the moment, go short. Choose a novella, something quick to read. It might break a reading drought if you're having trouble concentrating. In the hands of the wonderful Sarah Mayberry you can relax and simply enjoy. I think I loved Must Love Coffee even more because it's actually based on a true, crazy story of one up-man-ship in a Melbourne coffee shop - you know, who's the best customer of them all... Coffee and romance make a cracker duo!


Photo credit: amazon.com


Or, if your tastes lean to a more historical bent, Mary Jo Putney has republished her swoony romantic fantasy dragon novella, The Dragon and the Dark Knight. Yes, please, one for the dragon lovers (moi). Ooh, the fabulousness of that cover. ...And actually, ooh, the fabulousness of the story!


Photo credit: amazon.com


Second, I want to laugh at a time when laughs are not common. Reading can take me there. What books have amused you lately? I'm going to be the envy of everyone when I say I've recently read Anne Gracie's fourth novel in the 'Marriage of Convenience' series, Marry in Scarlet. Coming out very soon! It was divine, glorious fun to read. The banter between the ice-cold scary Duke and the unconventional Lady George was simply delicious. His Grace's best friend, Sinc, also stole a few scenes with his comic carry-on. Then there were so many tender moments, sigh... If you haven't started the series, now is maybe the best time of all. Begin with Marry in Haste. Thank me later.


Photo credit: amazon.com


Beth O'Leary's unexpectedly comic book The Flat Share is a superb read that gave me a lot of unexpected laughs - I totally gobbled it down. The two main characters, an extreme introvert (Leon, so dreamy and so strong) and an extreme extrovert (Tiffy, so warm-hearted and bubbly) end up sharing a flat but never meet in the flesh. Sounds crazy, but Beth O'Leary makes it work so so SO well! I laughed and cried through this book. It shows a lot of faith and hope in the good people of this world while touching on Big Issues. All the feels.


Photo credit: amazon.com


Third, don't ignore your TBR, that towering pile of books you've always wanted to read but haven't had time. May I suggest that now IS the time? Take that, TBR! I'm conquering you! One of my favourite historic heroes is Robin Hood, and Marsha Canham wrote an award-winning Medieval romance trilogy in the 1990s bringing the legend to life. Yes! I'm finally going to read it, starting with Through A Dark Mist, rollick through to In the Shadow of Midnight, then The Last Arrow. The new Kindle covers are oh-so-stunning.


Photo credit: amazon.com


Last, indulge yourself. If ever there was time to read a classic romance - hello Jane Austen - now is the time! JA's gentle stories are charming, so lovely to read, and sometimes have that clever little sting in the tail. Emma might be a good place to start, given the recent film version. BTW, the film was a charmer, although I wanted to get a hairbrush and tidy up Mr Knightley's hair a bit. Below is my favourite copy of Emma, with terrific annotations and fab illustrations. Isn't the cover delightful?


Photo credit: amazon.com

What's your idea of comfort reading in a time like this? What helps you cope?

Be kind, be loving, be patient, live by the 'new normal' rules... Hopefully we will come out of this stronger, better people.

So much love from Miranda xx


Love to Laugh:

At all the COVID-19 memes coming thick and fast. People are so clever!

Love to Love:

Right now my family is top-of-the-pops important to me. Go hug yours. ❤

Love to Learn:

How people are coping. In the famous words from our 'friend' Joey: How're YOU doing?

15 comments:

  1. Morning Miranda

    What a lovely post and yes times have changed so much but we must be positive and I am sure there is light at the end of the tunnel and sigh reading more time for reading I love it, I am also getting over surgery so yes reading makes me very happy at the moment.

    I have Anne Gracie's newest here as well but and keeping it closer to release date and I know I am going to love it, The Flatshare is one I too highly recommend, for me I read through the books I have and do my best to get them read as close to release date as possible and I am doing a challenge to get some books from my hughe TBR pile read.

    Stay safe

    Have Fun

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, you are a champion reader, and I often like what you like and wish I'd read what you read! I think we're twins separated at birth! I can only imagine what your TBR looks like - I think I could maybe read for years and not purchase another book and still have enough to last me forever. But, how can I resist brand new sparkling stories?! Good luck with your TBR, and I'm going to try and read every second book from mine. All the best for your recovery from surgery - hope all has gone well and it really is a good recovery for you. Glad you had it before the ban on elective surgery came in. Get better, enjoy your TBR, and lovely to chat! xx

      Delete
  2. Hi Miranda. It's a crazy time right now but it's also a good time for me. Less traffic on the roads, easier drive to work. Fewer people in the shops, on the streets, and there's a new openness in the air which adds a new depth to hope that all will turn out better. At least that's the way I'm looking at it. And the book I'm reading now Nora Roberts' The Rise of Magicks' part 3 of a trilogy about, yes, a virus destroying the world, is giving me hope too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh Enisa! I didn't realize the Nora Roberts' trilogy was about that! How timely, she must be able to see the future. But I'm sure she'll bring it home very well. Must read that trilogy, you know you've made me a Nora fan too over the years... I've been loving your Facebook posts with flowers and lovely things spotted on your walks, thankyou! Even in this time, so much to be thankful for. Take care till we meet again. xx

      Delete
  3. What a fabulous selection, Miranda! I've read three of these and enjoyed them immensely. At the moment I'm indulging in 'The Forest' by Edward Rutherford (author of 'Sarum'). It's a fabulous historical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I've never read Edward Rutherford, Marilyn, but heard so much about him. His books tend to be fairly fat? Maybe now is an excellent time to read one. We all seem to have a little more leisure time at the moment, bigger books can help fit the social gaps we all have... xx

      Delete
  4. Hi Miranda, I've started choosing my favourite books for my next blog - romance novels with a coastal setting. It's so much fun choosing a topic then reading great romance novels related to it.
    I'd also like to share that I loved watching the UK National Theatre's free production of Jane Eyre (currently available online). A great romance novel and a wonderful production.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word, it is fun, isn't it Sharon? Can't wait to read your next blog now! And I did notice the NT's Jane Eyre. We have a little trouble streaming things but I'm hopeful to give it a go. Enjoy!

      Delete
  5. Hi Miranda

    Such a great list of reads for us all and for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cassandra! If I haven't 'smothered you with love' last time I wrote, I would have mentioned your fabbo books again, Collector of Hearts and A Scandalous Wager! They are brilliant for putting the smile on my face, such lovely Regency reads. I notice A Scandalous Wager is on special at the moment, so anyone reading... this is your chance to snap up a bargain! https://www.amazon.com/Scandalous-Wager-Cassandra-Samuels-ebook/dp/B00O41FVC8/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=cassandra+samuels&qid=1586821230&s=digital-text&sr=1-2

      Delete
  6. Hi Miranda,
    A wonderful selection of books to add my to TBR pile :) I haven't been finding much time to read unfortunately - but I keep eyeing off my Nora Roberts brides series and wishing I could fall into those pages of happiness. Days are filled with entertaining my VERY bored and over isolation children and trying to write at night time. Strange times we live in! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very unusual time, Jayne, and one that will hopefully never be repeated when we come out the other end of things. Very sad days... Which is exactly why we need romance in our lives, with the happy endings and the lovely positive stories! I hope you find time for the Nora Roberts Bride series - that will certainly lift your spirits. Meanwhile, cherish those gorgeous cherubs of yours.

      Delete
  7. Comfort reading is very important during these challenging times and it's so much easier to download a book than it is to go to the shops and buy comforting chocolate! Better still would be reading with chocolate and I'll look forward to the return of those days.
    Thanks for the book tips, Miranda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I sit and read with a drink (choose your own adventure here) and sometimes a little something to go with it. I have chocolate at the moment because I was given some at Easter, plus some scrummy home-made Easter biscuits - which are proving delicious! But, you know, trying to keep the fruit bowl full... But the comfort of sinking into a good book at the moment is wonderful. It sweeps you away and gives you such relief and busts that stress right away for a while. Science is apparently proving it, which is excellent. Read on, friends!

      Delete
  8. Thanks again for another great set of recommendations, Miranda. I look forward to reading them.

    ReplyDelete

We love getting comments. Why not leave one?!