Monday 20 April 2020

Writing During a Time of Global Crisis

by Enisa Haines


Image courtesy of: giphy

COVID-19 rushed into the world without warning and life as we knew it is now scrambled. No more going to the shops, unless it's for food. No more crowding an arena to watch a concert. No more getting together with friends in a cafe. Our new normal is isolation. At work. Out on the street. At home.

That's a huge change for most. For writers? Every time we're writing we're in a room alone with our computers, isolated in a make-believe world dreamed up by our imagination. But writing in isolation by choice is very different to being isolated because you're ordered to be.

Some writers are fearless and relishing this quarantine time, churning out the words in numbers they never contemplated before. A big cheer to them.

Image courtesy of: commons.wikimedia.org

Other writers, with partners and children home full-time, their finances under stress and the writing time of before gone, are struggling with focus, with the motivation to write. Because it's hard, stressful, they procrastinate, watching movies on Netflix or pulling out the overgrowth of weeds in the garden or keeping the oven busy baking bread. And the stories waiting to be written don't get written.

Image courtesy of: giphy


So how do we get back to writing again during this time of global crisis? It's a different journey for every one of us and what works for some may not work for others, but what works for me is time for myself. Time I get to do what I want to do to keep my inner self happy because keeping my inner self happy brings out my creativity.

I go for a walk every day and look at my surroundings. That house on the street corner may be perfect for my main character in my current WIP. The river in the distance may be where I set an attempted murder scene.

Image: Author's own
I do colouring in. Amazing how much a pretty coloured inspirational quote can keep you motivated.

Image: Author's own

I keep in touch with friends and family via Social Media. Sharing my experiences, reading of others' experiences, helps keep the words flowing, and new stories are a twinkle in my imagination.

I recognise and acknowledge the feelings that steer me away from writing. Then I think about the story and my need to write the words. And I write.

How are you coping with isolation? Has COVID-19 affected your writing? 


 Love to love: all the good people helping the sick, the vulnerable and the elderly during this COVID-19 pandemic


Image courtesy of: giphy

Love to laugh: Facebook posts showing people in isolation doing the craziest ways to keep themselves occupied.

Love to learn: that in times of crisis I am strong.

10 comments:

  1. It is really interesting to see how people cope with isolation. I've hardly left the house except for medical appointments and for exercise. My house is full of chaos and while some love that I find sometimes I need to slip away for some quiet time. My focus has really been keeping my house going and so my mind has not at all been focused on writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cassandra. Isolation is a new and very strange phenomenon. Humans have always been social so being kept apart is hard to get used to. It's the loss of our routine daily life that causes chaos so to avoid that stress it's ideal to create a new routine with some 'me' time in there. When we have time for ourselves, our focus is so much clearer.

      Delete
  2. Great to hear that you're writing, Enisa. Me, not so much. Child minding is taking up most of my time (not a chore at all as my grand-daughters are a delight to have around, and I'm so thankful my children have kept their jobs). Those times when the littlies aren't here, I'm loving being able to forget reality by losing myself in writing my latest timeslip. Writing really is a wonderful way to escape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marilyn. This COVID-19 crisis sure has impacted on everyone's lives, the caring and home education of children adding stress to parents and grandparents. Glad to hear you're having fun with your granddaughters. And getting some writing done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Enisa,
    I'm busy with edits right now and just generally trying to cope with all the family being around constantly (although I really LOVE that ... I thought family dinners were a thing of the past with all the kids being out at sport most nights prior to this isolation necessity). Busy teleconferencing speech therapy sessions to my clients as well.
    I'm hoping after the edits put me back in the swing of writing again, I'll get my mojo back!
    Take care everyone! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alyssa. Keeping yourself busy with a routine helps keep us same. And it's wonderful with family around, admit it.

      Delete
  5. Hi Enisa, I'm finding the slow down pace of lockdown quite refreshing, to be honest. I've had time to clear out a few drawers and shelves and such, *long* overdue, and am catching up on some reading. To be honest, I've got enough jobs to last me another year! But the joy of reading guilt free is lovely, mainly because I don't have to squeeze it in between other things, but can simply keep reading if I feel like it. I've also finished a crossstitch that's been a year in the making, which is great. Caught up with some television shows. Phoned, texted and emailed a lot of people. Missed meeting my family and friends like crazy. Enjoyed the April sunshine. Simple pleasures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Miranda. Enjoying the simple pleasures now is the best thing out of this isolation. And realising how lucky we are in staying healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Enisa, thanks for the suggestions. I miss seeing our daughters and grandson. I'm grateful for technology that enables us to keep in touch with family and friends. How hard it must have been for people when the flu struck in 1919. I'm also grateful to those who've survived and learnt how to manage during past pandemics. Much of our isolation strategies were learnt the hard way in times past.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sharon. It's great to be able to see your family via the internet. Sad that we're going through this though and that some have died. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete

We love getting comments. Why not leave one?!